The White Elephant Safari Lodge and Bush Camp (owned by the Kohrs family) are in the beautiful Pongola Game Reserve (South) in Northern Zululand near the Swaziland border. White Elephant is easily accessible from the N2 (national route between Johannesburg and Durban) and Pongola Game Reserve (South) is a malaria free reserve.
Pongola Game Reserve, the first proclaimed game reserve in Africa, is host to four of the ‘Big 5’ species. Wildlife includes buffalo, elephant, rhino, leopard, hyena, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, warthog, 12 different antelope species, over 400 bird species and an interesting array of smaller mammal and insect life.
White Elephant Research Camp – The Camp can accommodate up to 50 guests
- The camp can accommodate up to 12 guests in small twin rooms as well as 38 guests in 19 twin tents (under canvas fly sheets) with shared ablution facilities.
- Bedding and towels are provided.
- The communal kitchen is equipped with cutlery, crockery, cooking utensils, stove, fridge, and freezer.
- An outdoor braai area and dining area (under a canvas flysheet) is located close to the kitchen.
- Self Catered Accommodation & Housekeeping Services
- The research camp caters for small groups of backpackers, volunteers, researchers, students and fishermen.
Venture into the wilderness with the field guide on one of our many activities.
- Safari Boat Cruises – Enjoy an early morning boat cruise, viewing spectacular bird-life or a late afternoon sunset excursion. Sightings of herds of antelope, hippo, crocodile as well as an enormous variety of bird species are common.
- Tiger Fishing / Boat Hire – From the novice fisherman to the expert angler fishing with a fly, Lake Jozini offers you the ideal location for a tiger fish catch of a lifetime.
- Elephant Research Project – The Elephant Research Project is a unique activity offered at White Elephant as an alternative to Game drives, Walks, Boat cruises and Fishing. This activity is educational, interactive and visual, and includes spending time with our research and conservation staff. After breakfast, guests depart for a cruise on Lake Jozini to locate and watch the elephants from the boat.
- Black Rhino Range Expansion Project – With the use of a Telemetry device, we will follow the rhino’s signal, look for tracks and dung middens and examine our camera ‘trap’ locations as part of our rhino monitoring and conservation project.
- Safari Game Drive – Game drives are conducted in open 4×4 vehicles, either in the early morning or late afternoons by a professional guide who will show you, not only the larger game but also the many varied and interesting smaller species in our game reserve. +/-3 hour excursion.
- Guided Walk – Walking trails are very much a part of the White Elephant Safari experience. Being on foot, is not only a more energetic way of experiencing the Bush but also provides a ‘close-up’ invigorating encounter with Nature. Walks go out daily, either early morning or late afternoon. (No children under 16). Minimum of 2 guests per walk, 1-3 hours duration.
- From R310 per person sharing per night
For availability and booking please fill in the form on the right of the page