Royal Jozini Private Game Reserve – eSwatini (Swaziland)
The Royal Jozini Private Game Reserve is situated within the Lake Jozini Transfrontier Park, in the Nsubane-Pongola Transfrontier Conservation Area. Shared by South Africa and eSwatini (The Land of the Swazis) , the proposed area will eventually cover 650km² and incorporate the whole of Lake Jozini.
Visit us at The Royal Jozini Private Game Reserve in The Kingdom of eSwatini (Swaziland) with luxury lodges, tented camps, catering or self-catered accommodation. Enjoy game drives, fishing or elephanting and create life changing moments .
The Property – Self Catering Lodge
Sweet Thorn Lodge is a family bush home all under one roof, with stunning views of Lake Jozini from the patios and also of the Lebombo Mountains. The self-catering lodge has an open plan kitchen, dining room and lounge lead onto a balcony, where you will find a jaccuzi to cool off in! There is a TV to play dvd’s. Guests are welcome to bring their own DSTV remote, Decoder and Smart card.
This lodge is fitted with solar with battery backup for lighting and fans – and gas for hot water and cooking. (The main bedroom has a solar geyser). PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS NO GENERATOR and so power is from solar only. There is a charcoal braai fireplace (please bring charcoal) and a boma area, where you can watch the flames of the fire and tell stories.
Accommodation / Dining Room / Lounge
Set back 400 meters from the lake, in the bush on a slight rise, this self catering lodge has three bedrooms and three bathrooms (two are en suite), PLUS the advantage of having an annex off the main bedroom with two bunk beds, a single bed and a cot (and toys for children!) PLUS an extra twin room on the mezzanine level, also with extra bunk beds. So the lodge will sleep either 6 adults, two teens and two little ones, or 8 adults if four people are prepared to share a bathroom, plus 4 or more children. Otherwise 6 people stay in space and comfort in three bedrooms with their own bathrooms.
- Game Drives – Activities in the Royal Jozini include doing your own game spotting from your vehicle along the West Shore. This will need a 4×4 but your saloon car will take you on the main roads where you are just as likely to see elephant, giraffe and wildebeest (and warthog, nyala, impala, kudu and you may even spot a leopard)!
- Game Cruises – Activities at Lake Jozini include game cruises – sign up for a sunrise or sunset cruise. Unforgettable game viewing. Lake levels determine boat launching. The 2015/16 drought was severe, as dams that feed the Pongolapoort Dam virtually dried up. The Pongolapoort Dam is still recovering, so check with us on lake levels and launch possibilities.
- Bird Watching – Indulge your senses in spotting as many of the 450 resident bird species as you can!
- Bush Walkabouts – Take a hike or a stroll and breathe in the beauty! There are elephants in the non-exclusion zone of the reserve and occasionally buffalo are seen in the exclusion zone. Check with us where it is safe to take a walk.
- Mountain Biking – Pedal power rules here! (No motorbikes or quad bikes permitted. Conservation rules!) Check with us which areas are free of elephants.
- Tiger Fishing – Lake Jozini has a remarkable Tiger Fish population, a fish known to reach in excess of 9 kg. This exclusively African game-fish strikes hard and fights aggressively, making this type of fishing a favourite among adrenaline seekers. (Please note that it is illegal to catch tigers to eat and all fish are caught on a catch and release basis). With its 27 species of fish, Lake Jozini promises an excellent opportunity for passionate fishermen.
Rates – per person per night sharing
- R3 840 per night for the whole Lodge – The Sweet Thorn Self Catering Lodge sleeps maximum 8 people
Royal Jozini Private Game Reserve; eSwatini