The Camp [ rates include full catering and safari activities ]
Rukiya is a shady safari retreat on the banks of the Blyde River, bringing the tranquil presence of flowing water and whispering trees to the camp. All elements of the camp’s construction and location are orientated around keeping things natural, low impact, and serene.
There is a large, rim-flow swimming pool sprawled out between the tented chalets and the main lounge and dining area, which is the magnetic central area of the camp. Sun loungers offer the perfect place to relax in the dappled shade with the view of the riverbank ahead.
- The Rukiya Safari-Style Tents – There are 6 canvas and timber tented suites, elevated on wooden stilts, beneath the riverine trees on the Blyde riverbank. Of the 6 tents, 2 can accommodate families of 4, while the rest can each sleep two people in twin or double beds. The family tents are subdivided and share a bathroom, so perfect to accommodate parents and two children under 12. All tents have en suite bathrooms, separated from the bedrooms by a zip-down canvas doorway, and containing a shower, vanity station, and toilet. Each of the standard tents extends onto a wooden balcony overlooking the river.
- The Rukiya River House – This is a brand new accommodation type at Rukiya and offers guests a more exclusive experience, ideal for families or groups of 4. The house has two en-suite king bedrooms, a private verandah which has a beautiful outside seating area overlooking the river below, internet access, DSTV, kitchen, dining area and lounge, air-con, tea & coffee making facilities and a fully stocked bar. Guests staying at the River House will dine down at the main lodge and have access to all it’s facilities, including the infinity pool and the sun-loungers.
- Great care has been taken to ensure each bed offers the highest comfort, with excellent mattresses, and luxurious quality bed linen and pillows. All the beds and wooden furniture throughout the camp have been sustainably built and locally sourced to stay committed to Rukiya’s eco-friendly ethos.
Just click the green button to view the various accommodation possibilities and amenities.
Excellent 3-course dinners are served at the dining table, which shares the large timber decking area with a comfortable lounge and casual bar. There is WiFi throughout the camp, but better reception in the main area. Subtle and sophisticated African art adds to the simple, stylish décor of this relaxing camp. We have a close-knit team that is friendly, professional and passionate about their work
Safari activities include game drives and optional bush walks, one of the daily activities will be conducted in a private section of the Greater Kruger where there is an opportunity to see the Big-Five, the other will be on the Wild Rivers reserve where the camp is located, there are a variety of species to see here such as leopard, hyena, giraffe, zebra and many antelope species, other big game is absent from this reserve. There are also a host of activities in and around the nearby town of Hoedspruit.
Features and facilities
- 6 Canvas safari tents elevated on wooden decking (including 2 family tents)
- The Rukiya River House – A 2 bedrorom house ideal for families or groups of 4.
- Main camp area on extensive timber decking, and natural wooden outfoor furniture
- Infinity pool with pool deck and sun loungers overlooking the Blyde River
- Boma with campfire and surrounding seating area
- Indoor lounge and dining area at main camp area
- WiFi and electrical outlets throughout camp (However, guests must bring their own adapters to fit their appliances)
- Laundry service available at a charge
- Each tent has a balcony with chairs overlooking the river view
- Standard rooms sleep two people on double or twin beds; family rooms have 4 beds (standard room divider separating room into two)
- En suite bathrooms– showers only
- Standing fan in each room (2 in family rooms)
Rukiya Safari Camp is located in the Wild Rivers Private Nature Reserve about 10km outside Hoedspruit neighbouring the Greater Kruger region. Wild Rivers is a 3000-hectare area forming part of the 12000-hectare Blyde Olifants Conservancy. The camp itself lies on the banks of the Blyde River only 500m upstream from the confluence of the significant Blyde and Olifants Rivers.
- Children: 4 – 11 years pay 50% of the sharing rate,
12 – 18 years pay 100% of the sharing rate
- Just click on the green button on the page to view availability, rates, specials, tent selection and book direct.