The Property- Tented Camp within the Amakhala Game Reserve
Quatermain’s 1920’s style expedition camp is modelled on the heyday of exploration, that golden era when adventure lay around every corner. The camp is located at the end of the Garden route in the Eastern Cape of South Africa between Port Elizabeth and Grahamstown.
As you unwind on your own private deck, you may be lucky enough to see an elusive Bushbuck or hear the cry of the African fish eagle. At night, as you lie under canvas, one of the highlights of your stay is sure to be drifting off to sleep to the sounds of nature; you can frequently expect to hear jackals calling, the beautiful voice of the fiery-necked nightjar, maybe a screeching barn owl, or if you are fortunate, the roar of lions.
Accommodation – 6 bed tented camp
- Our intimate 6 bed tented camp offers you the opportunity to experience “Africa under canvas”, with three crisp white 1900’s style safari tents fitted out with military campaign style furnishings; the choice of pioneers, hunters and explorers of that time.
- Every effort has been made to stay true to the expedition style, with concessions only being allowed for rustic en suite bathrooms with modern conveniences. Our comfortable colonial style tents will ensure you enjoy a genuine bush experience.
- Click on the green button above to view our tents in detail.
Dining – Default meal plan; thus all meals are inclusive within the price
Relax in the centralised thatch boma area where local delicacies are prepared in front of you on an open fire, and dinner is served under a blanket of stars.
- Bathroom amenities / Turn down service
- Wake-up calls / Maid service
- Minibar / Non-smoking
- Shower only / Sitting area
- Guests at Quatermain’s can enjoy the excitement of “Big 5” safaris on the award winning Amakhala Game Reserve in a malaria free area.
- Our twice daily 3 to 4 hour Game drives which depart directly from camp, are guided by our experienced rangers.
- These safaris are sure to give you the best possible chance to see a variety of wildlife whilst sharing the knowledge that these dedicated guides have built up over the years.
- To round off the safari experience, guests also have the opportunity to partake in guided Big 5 Wilderness / Bush walks as well as professionally guided birding walks, a chance to see and learn about the smaller and less obvious aspects of our environment.
- Discover a hidden world on Amakhala Game Reserve. Get up close and personal with some of the world’s most uniquely adapted plants and animals; meander across vast open plains, and negotiate river courses and valleys across 12 000 acres of unspoilt African wilds.
- Amakhala Walking Trails is run by Riaan Brand, owner of Quatermain’s 1920’s Safari Camp . Fuelled by a passion for walking over the last 13 years, Riaan is a FGASA accredited Professional Trails Guide as well as a Specialist Birding Guide (SKS Birding Thicket Biome).
- Walking trails offer guests the opportunity to get off the beaten track and follow the myriad of elephant and rhino trails that crisscross this ancient landscape. Lucky walkers might even get the opportunity to track and view some of these African leviathans. No less important and even more interesting are the countless small creatures and their tracks and signs that may be encountered on foot.
- We regret no children under the age of 12 years
Amakhala Game Reserve
Please view the detailed Map to the Safari Camp: Safari Camp Map 2022
Just click on the green button to view our rates / availability and book direct.