Here you have it all, from an abundance of bird-life to the magical fauna and flora, the Klaserie offers something for all!
Come on safari and enjoy game drives twice daily in open landrovers with a ranger and a Shangaan tracker helping you spot these amazing animals in the wild. Step into the tastefully designed African Lodge and feel welcomed home. A seamless mixture of luxury and nature awaits you at Makumu.
Family-friendly all ages welcome with exclusive lodge bookings only where we can accommodate up to a party of 10. Dinner is served on the boma deck situated on the banks of the non-perennial Dundee river bed. Pre-arranged massages are available in privacy from our top deck overlooking the African Bushveld. For the more energetic we offer the treadmill, bicycle and rowing machine.
Makumu Private Game Lodge is an intimate oasis surrounded by the harshness, unpredictability and unspoiled appeal of the African bushveld.
- Six luxurious and beautifully appointed suites accommodating a maximum of twelve guests, ensure an exclusive blend of absolute comfort, style and privacy. Inspired by the Bushman, Ndebele and Zulu tribes of Africa, the suites are decorated with their own unique character.
- Each is large and spacious, to reflect the open air and space of the African bush, offering a King Suite and smaller Impi Suite.
- The en-suite bathrooms have an indoor shower, as well as the King Suite having a perfectly positioned ‘tub with a view’, while the wooden decks of the King Suites each boast a hammock perfect for those lazy afternoons.
- With minimal electricity (all rooms have fans and plug points), come nightfall the lodge is lit entirely by candlelight.
- Just click on the green button to view the various accommodation options and amenities available.
World-class game viewing, a crackling boma fire, moonlit evenings and legendary bush hospitality are all part of the experience. Explore the mysterious wildlands of the Klaserie on foot or in an open game drive vehicle. Game viewing at Makumu is opportunistic, with no time constraints nor schedules – the ultimate benefit of exclusivity. The highly skilled ranger and tracker team offer a multifaceted safari offering that includes day and night game drives, walking, tracking and quiet observation from a hide – all part of the Makumu wilderness experience.
Another new and exciting addition to Makumu is the photographic bunker. ‘iThumbela’ as the bunker has been named, which loosely translated from the Xitsonga language means ‘place to hide’, is sunken below ground and overlooks a watering hole, offering guests the opportunity to photograph wildlife coming to the water to cool down or drink, at ground level.
Main Lodge facilities
The rock pool overlooking a watering hole provides the ideal cool-off while spotting any game with a similar idea. Shaded loungers beckon for an afternoon siesta before setting out with the dipping sun in an open Land Rover. Pearl-spotted owlet, giraffe, hyena, wild dog, zebra, warthog, elephant and vervet monkey are amongst the frequent visitors — not forgetting a variety of antelope: kudu, impala, waterbuck and nyala.
Back at the all-inclusive lodge, situated above the banks of the Leopard riverbed, the wooden-decked boma offers the perfect spot for evening dining. Situated under the vast African skies, bathed in the gentle light of candles and lanterns, guests can listen to the far-off roar of the lion and the gentle rasping of the leopard while tucking into a delectable meal.
No children allowed
Rates (minimum of 2 nights stay)
Included in the rate are:
- 3 Meals a day
- All safaris (day/night/walking)
- Transfers to and from Eastgate Airport
- Local wines, softdrinks, spirits
Click on the green button to view availability, rates, specials and book direct.