YOURS TO DISCOVER
Kosi Forest Lodge is situated within iSimangaliso Wetland Park, South Africa’s first World Heritage Site, giving you the opportunity to experience exclusive, close encounters with the untouched African wilderness. The lodge is surrounded by untold biodiversity and beauty that you simply have to see for yourself. There is limited electricity, and candlelight gives the lodge a warm, romantic ambience reminiscent of wild African adventures of long ago. This is fitting for this ancient land with a mystical quality that you’ll never quite be able to describe. It’s a place where you can rediscover nature, and, even more importantly, rediscover yourself.
A WATER WONDERLAND OF LAKES AND FORESTS
Enter a magical waterworld of lakes, raffia forests and the home of the only fruit-eating vulture in the world. Your rustic yet comfortable forest room on raised wooden platforms is tucked away under the canopy of a large natal fig or milkwood tree, and every morning begins with the chorus of a myriad of birds. Feel the soft white sand between your toes and the shade of the peaceful forests, listen to the call of the fish eagle, embrace the warm welcome from our staff and know that you have left the stress of your busy life behind.
- Our forest rooms make you feel truly connected with the outdoors, while safe and comfortable. All rooms have both romantic outdoor bathroom bomas as well as en-suite indoor showers.
- Click the green button on the page to view all the luxuries our luxury rooms have to offer; thus making the optimal decision when booking.
The lodge facilities are designed to enhance your experience of the exquisite wilderness. To help you make the most of the natural surroundings throughout your stay, the common and private facilities at the lodge are focused on getting you to observe and explore nature as you go about your day. We take full advantage of Maputaland’s sultry weather, and most meals are served al fresco under a canopy of magnificent trees.
- The Main Lodge – A massive Zulu podberry tree is the focal point of the main lodge with the lounge, dining room and bar all opening onto a large wooden deck around the tree.
- The Bar – Our well-stocked bar serves all your usual favourites against the backdrop of the forest and lake.
- The Boma – Meals are often served in our forest boma, where a crackling fire is lit in the evenings. We usually serve a traditional South African braai showcasing typical local cuisine.
- The Bird Hide – Kosi Forest Lodge is a bird-lover’s haven. Spend a quiet afternoon in our bird hide nestled in the sand forest, and we bet that you’ll be able to tick some of those lesser-known species off your list!
- Swimming Pools – The swimming pool overlooks Lake Shengeza. While away the afternoon cooling off, sipping on your favourite drink while watching the resident pod of hippos.
- Walking Path – Enjoy a pleasant, easy walk through the grassland and forest that surrounds the lodge. The walking path winds gently around Kosi Forest Lodge, ending up at our swimming pool overlooking the lake. As you walk, listen and watch out for fascinating birds and animals.
- Outdoor Bathrooms – Completely private, our outdoor bathrooms under the trees are a Kosi Forest Lodge highlight. Lie back, relax and feel truly at one with the soothing sights, sounds and smells of the surrounding sand forest.
- Your buffet breakfast and luncheon are served in the covered dining area, where you’ll also find a 24/7 tea and coffee station with delicious homemade biscuits. You’ll enjoy most of our generous and flavourful meals on the outdoor dining deck.
- To truly appreciate the beauty of the unique surrounding ecosystem of waterways, intertwined lakes, grasslands and ancient forests, you need to spend a few days exploring – either by canoe, motorised boat or on foot. With so much to do, your only regret will be not having booked to stay for longer at this otherworldly paradise.
- Enjoy early morning or late afternoon guided walks through the magnificent Raffia palm forest. Listen out for the abundant bird calls and perhaps catch a glimpse of the rare palm-nut vulture.
- A full day boat trip is a wonderful way to explore the fascinating lakes and channels, learn about fish traps, enjoy a picnic and walk to the pristine Bhanga Nek Beach.
Kosi Forest Lodge is an idyllic honeymoon destination, offering the bridal couple a romantic haven of calm after a busy wedding. Relax in secluded forest rooms, take an outdoor bath under the forest canopy, laze at the pool with a cool drink in hand while hippos frolic in the lake, float along the unspoilt channels of the Kosi Lakes or explore the waterways by boat.
- November-February is turtle breeding season and March-June has the best weather.
ACCESS BY ROAD – A 4×4 is required, and secure parking is available at Manguzi for guest vehicles. Daily 4×4 transfers to the lodge leave Manguzi parking at 12h00 and 16h00, return transfers depart from the lodge at 10h30. There is an additional charge for 4×4 transfers.
Address: View the Elephant Coast map: Elephant Coast Map 2021
Just click on the green button to view our rates / availability and book direct.Rates