Kosi Bay is situated on the North Coast of Kwa-Zulu Natal, just a few kilometres from the Mozambique border. Kosi Bay is well known for its four natural lake systems which form part of the iSimangaliso Wetland Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Kosi Bay Mouth is known as “the aquarium” because of the clarity of the water and the abundance of fish species. It is one of the quietest beaches in South Africa. Kosi Bay is also home to the famous 700+ year old traditional Tsonga fish Traps (fish kraals).
Four Luxury Tented En-Suite Chalets – Fully equipped with air-conditioner and small kitchenette. Each unit with 2 single beds and private braai (BBQ). Basic amenities supplied incl. tea/coffee. Extra single bed can be requested at an additional cost.
Four Safari Tents – Comfortable Safari tents on concrete platforms. These units share an ablution facility. There is a fully equipped communal kitchen whereas each unit has it’s own working station, gas hop and fridge. Tea-Coffee available all day. Each unit sleeps 2 people.
One Luxury Family Unit En-Suite – Fully equipped with air-conditioner, fridge 4 plate gas hob and private braai (BBQ). This unit has a queen size bed, a bunk bed and as sleeper coach/singe bed. Suitable for a family of 5. Basic amenities incl. tea/coffee supplied.
- Just click on the green button to view our various Luxury Tents & Family Unit, amenities and tent configuration.
Our a la carte restaurant is open daily for buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner: 7H00 – 20H30
Hints, tips and general regulation
- The Lodge can be reach in a normal sedan but a 4×4 is required to visit surrounding areas as well as Kosi Bay Mouth, Bhanga Neck. Lala Neck, Black Rock and Mozambique.
- Visitors may check-in after 14:00 on the day of arrival and must vacate by 10:00 on the day of departure.
- Firewood and Firelighters are sold at the Lodge, but firewood can also be purchased outside from the local communities.
- Good relations between visitors to the area and community members are necessary. Do not photograph the community without prior consent and do not interfere or visit any of the fish traps without prior consent from the local community.
- Fishing nor any other type of activity is not permitted in the Marine Sanctuary from Beacon No 8 at Bhanga Nek south to Beacon No 9 at Dog Point.
- All boats using the interconnecting channel between Lakes 2 and 3 must travel dead slow with the engine just idling while keeping to the right, close to the channel bank. This is to prevent erosion of the banks. Failing to do so will result in the offenders being asked to leave the reserve. Access is denied to 4th Lake (Amanzamnyama).
- No generators are permitted.
- No person may pump sand prawns unless in possession of a general bait licence or if the holder thereof is in attendance. A daily limit of 50 sand prawns is permitted.
- No waterskiing, yachting, jet-skiing or other water sport is permitted.
- Pets are not permitted.
- No person is allowed to visit Kosi Estuary, Bhanga Nek, Black Rock, Rocktail Bay or Lala Nek without a valid permit.
- Permits to visit Kosi Mouth, Bhanga Nek and Black Rock, available Kosi Bay Reserve’s offices. These permits are issued on a first come first served basis.
- It is an offence to pick, damage or remove any plant from the Park or to disturb, kill or remove any animal from the Park.
- Ice can be bought at the Lodge, just enquiry at reception.
- Trips and excursions can be arranged for almost all of the activities.
- Load Shedding does occur from time to time, therefore it is always advisable to bring a flash light.
Kosi Bay has a lot of activities to offer. Our team will gladly assist in booking any of the various excursions and activities that we and nearby Mozambique has to offer.
TEMBE ELEPHANT PARK ** TURTLE WHATCHING ** MKUZE AND NDUMO GAME RESERVE ** BOAT TRIPS ON KOSI LAKE SYSTEM ** VISITING THE 700 YEAR OLD FISH TRAPS ** RAFIA PALM FOREST WALK ** SNORKELING ** VISIT KOSI MOUTH ** DAY TRIPS BHANGA NECK, BLACK ROCK & LALA NECK ** FISHING ** BIRD WATCHING ** DAY TRIPS TO PONTA DO OURA/MOZAMBIQUE ** WHALE WATCHING AND SWIMMING WITH DOLPHINS IN PONTA DO OURA/MOZAMBIQUE.
Children of all ages are welcome.
Address: Just off the A1069; view the map to the Lodge:
Rates – Rate based on Bed and Breakfast or Self Catering
- Children: Rates calculated upon room selection
Just click on the green button to view our rates, specials, availability and book direct.