We are situated eight kilometres from the main entrance to Addo Elephant National Park and less than an hour’s drive from Port Elizabeth, in the magnificent malaria-free Sundays River Valley. The Elephant House Safari Co. is the in-house safari division where qualified guides conduct excellent daily game drives into the Addo Elephant Park on open Land Cruisers as well as cultural, historical & agricultural tours in the valley. Other options include horseback safaris into Addo, a helicopter trip to the beach and day visits to the various private game reserves in the area. This thatched colonial style lodge offers guests all the splendour of a bygone era. The decor at Elephant House evokes colonial and African images and is furnished with the owners` private collection of antiques, Persian rugs and Afrikana art.
All of the eight Luxury Rooms, of which two are Family Suites, open onto a thatched-roof verandah. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, extra-length king size beds, as well as 24hr room service.
- Click on the green button above to view the luxuries our rooms have to offer.
- 8 spacious bedrooms are beautifully decorated opening out onto courtyards and private verandas
- Swimming pool
- Polo – Two kilometres away from the Elephant House is the Addo Polo Club where polo is played in the cooler winter months and cricket in summer.
- Walking trails
- Children “Club room”
- Game drives
- 24 hour electricity
- Malaria free destination
- A true African safari
- Golf – Kirkwood, which has a beautiful golf course, is a 30 km drive through the valley.
Breakfast & Dining
With an abundance of fresh local and sustainable ingredients we are able to offer truly scrumptious and wholesome farm-to-table cooking throughout the day, inspired by the flavours of Africa.
- Breakfast: Our traditional farm breakfasts are complimentary and served every morning in one of our relaxed settings until 11am. Breakfast is included in the rate.
- Lunch: Light lunches are lovingly prepared and then served by our chef on the terrace or beside the pool.
- Dinner: After sundowners, delicious three-course candlelit dinners are served daily: superb country cuisine complemented by some of the Cape’s finest wines.
- The Wine Bar: A gathering place to reunite, reconnect and relax over a glass of great South African wine, a beer or a cocktail. It’s a fantastic venue for guests to enjoy, and for small family gatherings, weddings and corporate events.
Game drives and other adventures
Our in-house field guide (with great experience with the elephants of Addo) conducts two safaris into Addo in our open Land Rover daily.
Morning drive – 08:30 to 12:30
Afternoon drive – 14:00 to 17:30
R1450 pp inclusive of park entry and conservation fees, drinks and snacks.
- Please note that children under 6 are not allowed on open safari vehicles.
- These are very popular drives so it is highly recommended to pre-book.
We can arrange a variety of tours in the region for you.
Children are most welcome and baby sitters are available on request. Children also have full use of the “Club Room” which has games, a TV with a DVD library, and a laptop computer. Children under 4 years stay free.
Off the R335, Addo
Please view the detailed Map to the Elephant House: Elephant House Map 2022
Just click on the green button to view our rates / availability and book direct.