In the foothills of the southern Drakensberg nestles Castleburn a home to eland, reedbuck and 100 species of bird, who flock to the re-established wetlands. Spacious, thatched, architect-designed cottages, built of hand-hewn local stone, cluster around Lake Madingofani. Its shimmering surface reflects the rocky summits of the Garden Castle and is disturbed only by the breeze and the occasional trout jumping.
The estate borders on a Natal Parks Board nature reserve, neighboring the uKhahlamba Drakensberg World Heritage Site proclaimed in year 2000 and the famous Giant’s Cup hiking trail which passes through it. For chilly Berg evenings, the private, luxuriously furnished cottages have heating systems in the bedrooms and bathrooms and a stone fireplace; there is also an impressively equipped kitchen. A convivial lakeside clubhouse encourages friendly get-togethers.
If you love peace and unpolluted air, bathing in crystal clear streams, fishing, riding, sailing, hiking, tennis, swimming…. you’ll find the perfect holiday at Castleburn.
Castleburn is rated a Gold Crown resort by RCI.
Four Bedroom Chalet
- Four Bedroom Chalet overlooks Lake Madingofani / Sweeping views of the mountainous landscape
- Three bathrooms / Large kitchen / Large dining area / Undercover braai facility
Three Bedroom Chalet
- Three bedroom chalets are spread throughout the resort / Some with landscape views of the Southern Drakensberg mountain range
- Many with breathtaking views of Garden Castle towering over the Resort
- Most are set on the banks of the many smaller fly fishing dams spread through the resort
- Every chalet boasts three bedrooms (one upstairs) / Two bathrooms / Fully equipped kitchen / Lounge / Dining area
- Braai area / Fireplace for those colder winter evenings
One & Two Bedroom Loft
- One Bedroom Loft apartments have one bathroom / Lounge/dining area / Fully equipped kitchen / Patio with braai facility
- Two Bedroom Fisherman’s Loft apartment have two bathrooms / Lounge/dining area / Fully equipped kitchen
- Patio with braai facilities / All apartments have stairs leading from the carpark area to the units
Eight Sleeper Chalet
- 4 x eight sleeper chalets / Amazing lake and mountain views / Two private bedrooms / Four bed open loft / Two bathrooms
- Large fully equipped kitchen / Dining area / Large outside patio with braai facilities
- Restaurant – Our restaurant and bar provide the perfect family dining experience, from hot home cooked meals to hearty beef steaks. We also have a takeaway pizza facility for those evenings when you prefer to stay in the comfort of your chalet.
- Creel Bar – Situated next to the restaurant, and overlooking Rhino Peak, there is no better place to enjoy a drink, or watch your favourite sport on TV.
- Fishing – We supply great quality 10-foot flat bottom fishing boats for those avid fly-fisherman. Battery operated motors are welcome and will easily fit.
- Kayaking – Spend the day out on our 22-hectare lake enjoying the splendour and views of the surrounding mountains.
- Bird watching – With all the amazing trees and shrub life we have, our bird watching is some of the best in the southern Berg. Bring along your binoculars and spot from rare raptors to the common weaver.
- Pitch and putt course – Take on our pitch and chip course. This course has 9 short but challenging holes and is fun for the whole family.
- Single Loft Apartments – From R1320 per room (2 adults)
- Chalets – From R3 600 per unit
Drakensberg Gardens Road; Underberg
For availability, final quote and booking please complete the form on the right of the page.