Antares Bush Camp is a small exclusive bush camp set within the open system of the Greater Kruger National Park. With the reserve part of the open system now, we can boast almost all the game species that you could expect to find in the Kruger National Park, although species such as eland, roan antelope and a few others are highly unlikely to be encountered due to their habitat preferences. Our bird list is close to 300 species and rarities such as Pel’s fishing owl, African finfoot and a few other can be seen along the river. Regular sightings of elephant and lions occur at the waterhole just in front of the camp along with a large variety of general game and birdlife. With the development of Umgede hide at the water’s edge there is a great opportunity to get close to the action. With free Wi-Fi available throughout the camp, our guests will have the luxury of being able to video their favourite sightings and send them home to their jealous families and friends.
- Antares is a small rustic bush camp which is offered as an exclusive facility for small groups or families.
- Boasting five en-suite bedrooms but only catering for a maximum of eight guests at any one time ensures that you and your friends can enjoy this piece of paradise on your own.
- Each of the five bedrooms boast an en-suite bathroom with outside shower allowing you to enjoy those starry nights after a magical game drive where you may have been lucky enough to see an elusive leopard. One of the bedrooms is set up as a family room, a queen bed for Mum and Dad and at the other end an adjoining room with a bunk bed, ensuring that even families with younger children can enjoy our hospitality.
Just click on the green button to view our various bedroom options and amenities.
- As you walk through the entrance with the giant Baobab framed in the background, take note of the tracks from the lions that walked through after we laid the fresh concrete. You will emerge onto a deck that leads you into the spacious lounge and dining area of the camp and a view through the open doors down to the waterhole. Either side of the deck is a bushveld garden with a variety of aloes and other indigenous plants that promise to attract plenty of birds and butterflies throughout the year.
- The dining room, reception and spacious lounge boast portraits of Ian’s family, as well as various pieces of antique furniture. The open rafters create an impression of vast space and are designed to keep the space cool in summer. The dining area looks across the bushveld towards Grietjie Berg and is easily serviced from the adjoining kitchen area. A stone cladded fireplace adds a beautiful ambiance especially during the cooler winter evenings although our winters are generally fairly mild.
- Moving through into the lounge area, the guests are greeted by impressive Leadwood trees incorporated into the design and furniture, along with recycled pallet furniture. Comfortable sofas, a well-stocked library and a display unit of interesting artefacts from the bush make this an informative area within the lodge.
- Two decks lead off the lounge with stunning views down to the waterhole. Guests can enjoy the plunge pool on hot summer days, and the nearby braai (barbecue) area provides an authentic African experience.
Inside the main building guests can make use of the large kitchen equipped with a large electric oven and 5-ring gas hob. Alternatively, Antares offers you the opportunity to request a chef who will come on site and prepare all your meals for you, allowing you to relax and enjoy the bush to its fullest. You will still be responsible for providing all the food and beverage requirements for your party. (The chef is an optional extra for which there will be an additional fee.) Please note that as we are not a licensed facility, all guests will need to supply their own beverages.
Umgede underground hide
There are only a handful of underground hides in South Africa and even fewer in the immediate vicinity of the Kruger National Park. These hides offer guests the unique and amazing opportunity to sit in the safety and comfort of a game viewing hide and photograph the animals from their level. Whether your subject is the mighty elephants as they throw the mud over their ears, or the majestic lions as they lap the cooling water or just the dainty dragonflies as they rest on the lily pads, there will always be something of interest for you to focus your lens on.
At Umgede there will be ample space for up to four photographers to sit in the comfort of adjustable office chairs and mount your cameras on sturdy supports or rest them on your bean bags. The waters edge is a mere 60-70 cm from the opening of the shutters allowing you to get really close to the animals.
Additional Activities and Safaris offered
- Kruger National Park day Tours
- Visiting Animal Rehabilitation Centres
- Panorama Day Tours
- Game Drives in Open Land Rover
- Guiding Birding Expeditions
- Morning Game Walks
Rates: Based on Self Catering (Children 0-18 years pay 100% of the sliding scale rate)
Just click on the green button to view availability, rates, specials and book direct. [ MINIMUM 2 NIGHTS STAY]
The Camp can also be booked exclusively.
Antares Bush Camp & Safaris, 39 Grietjie, Phalaborwa